The car started life as a 1993 BB R1 with a few minor performance mods, until I got my claws into it. When it was all said and done, I was putting down 312 rwhp/243 ftlbs of torque at a ‘safe’ 15psi tune. The car ran outstanding and was almost ready to see it’s first track event until massive fail occurred. Unbeknownst to me, Mazda had the brilliant idea to not barb the end of the stock FPR vacuum/boost reference line. So with my newfound 15psi of pressure it walked the vacuum line right off the bung and leaned out the motor.

Kapow.

Apparently you are supposed to use a smaller diameter viton hose and lots of zipties to hold the line on. Wish someone gave me the FYI ahead of time.

Afterwards I was able to start the car and drive it, but I could tell it was hurt.

The last picture of it moving under it’s own power trying to take it out to do a compression test. Rear PSI on all faces was 0 psi.

I was then faced with the dilemma. Buy a new short block and keep it rotary powered or ‘step it up’ and build a track monster that I wouldn’t feel guilty beating on/driving with any frequency.

The choice was pretty clear and now I just have to get over the ‘shock’ of parting her out after all the work I put into it.

RIP Rotary: 1993-2010 – 52,XXX Original Miles

More info to come!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *